Friday, May 3, 2013

How to open a Panerai back case

Panerai Opening tool

I am wearing this watch today. It is a limited edition Panerai Luminor Marina 福 (PAM 366) hand-wound watch. My wrist is quite huge and suitable to wear oversize watch. But the focus of today is not on this PAM 366... but something that my friend bought for me from China. 


This thing here. It has a box that looks like Bergeon SA tools. This is a set of Panerai case opener that my friend found in China. It is much cheaper than the Bergeon tools and also a lot cheaper than genuine Panerai opener. I paid less than RM 150 for this set of 4 (40mm, 44mm, 45mm, 47mm) and I can basically open all Panerai watches.



This 4 rings look like 4 nuts. I will demonstrate how you open a FAKE panerai using it. 


Coincidentally, I also have a Chinese replica PAM 366. This will be my guinea pig. One thing I need to stress, the replica is in no way near the quality of the genuine item. It is using much cheaper materials and the finishing is far inferior than the original. 



The Chinese copied PAM366 has a see through case back. I suspected it is using the Tianjin movement that tried to look similar to ETA 6497.



PAM 366 and also the replica is 44mm...  put the 44mm nut on the caseback and then turned anti-clock wise to open it.


There you go... as easy as ABC.....


The wording Officine Panerai on the movement is actually a piece of sticker and is not an engraving. I have doubt with the movement's decoration and polishing too. To make such finishing, the replica could not be sell to me at the price I purchased. 


6 comments: