Wednesday, September 15, 2010

First Chronograph of Seiko 5717-8990



This is considered the ancestor of all Seiko Chronograph.... the First Seiko Chronograph introduced in 1964 for the 18th Tokyo Olympics. Seiko was the official timer for the Tokyo Olympics.


Nickname "Seiko Chronostop" because of it is a single button chronograph and its similarity to the famous Omega Chronostop. 5717 was developed to mark the technical achievement of the Japanese industry and to declare Japanese recovery after devastation of the Second World War.
This watch uses Seiko's own movement Cal. 5717. Cal. 5717 is a hand winding intergrated chronograph movement, using one push button for its three functions (start, stop and reset). There is a bi-directional rotating bezel that serves to improve the sporty look of the watch. This watch of mine has a Seahorse case back.... there is another version that has a Olympic Torch symbol at the back... I am trying to search for one....


5 comments:

  1. It's Very Beautyfull and Rare of Seiko watch.,
    Dear Sir,
    Maybe sometime you must come to my country in indonesia,
    In in here there is so many Vintage Seiko with very2 Cheap prize.
    Because our country it's close to Japan.

    Sorry about my poor english.
    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's Very Beautyfull and Rare of Seiko watch.,
    Dear Sir,
    Maybe sometime you must come to my country in indonesia,
    In in here there is so many Vintage Seiko with very2 Cheap prize.
    Because our country it's close to Japan.

    Sorry about my poor english.
    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I see you have used my photo of the Olympic back on one of my 5717's.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SOrry about that... If you can give me your details I would give due respect for your property's rights :)

      Delete
  4. ...so an acknowledgement would be nice.

    Just "Neil" would be fine.

    ReplyDelete