Saturday, February 8, 2014

Someone's Junk, can always be My Treasure: Restoring Citizen New Master 22

Riches in Trash

Sometimes in June 2013, I wrote about a watch I bought from scrap-yard. It was in a horrible state... I wasn't sure whether I am in the right state of mind to pay the ransom for it. Well it was just a dime or two; but to restore a watch like this, is a hazard business. You can probably buy one in a premier condition for less than the total cost.... As the name Watchopenia suggested; it is about insanity with watches and romancing with timepieces......

Here is the initial posting: "Coming back from scrap yard....Rescuing vintage Citizen New Master". Belows are some photos abstracted from the posting.




After spending a good RM80 on the repairing bill and a waiting period of 6 months, I got myself a sweet, gorgeous looking Citizen New Master 22. My watchmaker basically ultrasonic bubble bathing the watch, polishing the 37.5mm in diameter stainless steel case (shinning mirror finishing on top and bottom; brushed finishing on both sides), replacing the acrylic crystal, replaced the main spring of the movement and oiled the whole movement..... In the end, the result was quite satisfactory.... 
I got it wrong with the dial; the dial condition is quite horrible and I do doubt that I can easily find a replacement for it.
I also managed to get a good leather strap with a matching silver buckle for this new watch in my collection. Something worth mentioning is that Citizen 8270A, the handwinding 17 Jewels Japanese movement beating at 21,600 A/h is a genuine work horse and can run and run and run........ 













6 comments:

  1. hi, bumped into your site and discovered this nice looking citizen watch.just to ask you if this is a an uncommon watch because for the first time i see the 12oclock marker is represented by a crown.
    if it is worth having i will look for one over the internet.
    thanks
    mr lee
    leehonyew@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many, but certainly not all Newmaster or New Masters had a crown at 12.00.

      Delete
  2. Interesting blog! I wonder how much can cost a repair like this?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I paid RM80 for the repairing.... which is about USD20 or less.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Holy cow..... perhaps 80RM is an astronomic sum for Malaysians and you may have been able to find some good independent watchmaker.
      But anyone living in Israel - unless they're (amateur or professional) watchmakers themselves - would have to pay like a minimum of 122 USD for the service performed on your watch.
      In the US they demand even more.

      Delete
  4. What is the price of the watch after repairing? I mean if someone will like to sell.

    ReplyDelete