Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Seiko 5 Superior SNZ437K1: The tales of ugly duckling

Seiko Superior 7S26-00N0:我很醜可是我很溫柔

Yes ugly.... that precisely comes into my mind whenever I look at this Seiko Superior. If it is that hideous, why is it in my collection? The story started in the year 2004. A friend asked whether I want a newly launched Seiko Superior? She said it is totally different than average Seiko 5 and is with 23 jewels movement and sapphire glass. The price was friendly and reasonable. So without looking at the watch, I pressed in an order. 
True enough, it is not the average Seiko 5..... it has a space look; a watch from the future. The design is radical. My first impression with the watch was... It is really solid and heavy... Chunk of stainless steel.... In fact, this watch is weighted about 170gm. This is quite a big watch for people with smaller wrist. It measured at 39mm diameter excluding its crown and with thickness of 12mm. Despite the dial is round, I considered this watch oval and a bit oblongated shape. The case is brushed finish with mirror polished bezel.


Don't be deceived by the appearance. This watch has a very beautiful black glossy textured dial with fine crosshatch pattern. The hour markers are applied silvered baton indices with luminous dots at the end tips. The hour hand looks extremely awful. I don't know who designed this, but it looked like the hour hand has been chopped short. The white gloss hour and minutes hands are with luminous filled. The day and date disc of this watch uses the black colour background contrasted with white wording. This really match the black dial very very well. 

There is a black chapter ring that has a dash for every minute, which is a nice touch as it moves these hash marks from the dial and gives the dial a little cleaner look than being directly on the dial.  The outer most of the chapter ring is a 24 hour scale. A sapphire crystal is being used to protect this beauty dial and adding more value to this watch. At the bottom of the dial is 7S36-- COT4 R2; seriously I am clueless and I guess only Seiko understand what it meant. 


The crown of this watch has the distinctive Seiko 5 logo and is quite nicely done. This crown is the conventional push pull and adjust type. There is a curve on the case that housed and protected the crown. 




This watch has a solid stainless steel integrated bracelet with solid links. The bracelet is designed as an extension of the case.  I.e. this band is only for this watch and cannot be used in any other models. 


At the end of the bracelet is a double push button folding clasp. The clasp has the word Seiko engraved. 


The bracelet has the part number written on the first link of both sides.



This watch comes with the see through back case. This is just an ordinary mineral crystal. There is a gold colour Seiko 5 Superior imprint on the glass. I always think that Seiko should at least doing some cosmetic or beautification work or even plastic surgery on the movement before putting it on display underneath a see through case. No doubt, higher end Seiko like Spring Drive or Grand Seiko has hand polished movement that is among the industrial best. 


This watch employed the 23 jewels automatic 7S36 movement. Like 7S26, this is a non-hacking, non-handwinding movement with quickset day-date functions. The word Superior in this sense means the use of sapphire crystal, a 23 jewel movement, a solid link bracelet and uprated water resistance (10bars). Futuristic styling and lots of features combine to make this a watch which should last for decades to come.

17 comments:

  1. Hello Brother, can we say only SEIKO made in Japan has more value? How do we know there are made in Japan SEIko's?
    Many thanks for an anticipated answer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As a general, Made in Japan usually has a better finishing and a greater details. I think this is due to the more stringent quality control in a Japanese factory and also the no nonsense attitude of Japanese Workforce.
      For Seiko 5, there is usually stated at the bottom of the dial declaring "Made in Japan" and at the back case usually stamped with Japan. But lately I have seen a lot of fake Seiko stated Made in Japan as well.......

      Delete
  2. The hour hand was designed by IWC. See IWC Pilot watches from the 90s.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is the bracelet interchangeable for a strap?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This one a bit difficult and I think u need to custom made.

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have the exact same watch and I LOVE it! It's the least expensive watch in my collection, but it still get regular wrist time because it looks great, wears comfortably, and keeps time nicely. The bracelet feels like satin on the skin, and the way the highly-polished applied indices play with the light is marvelous. Great watch.

    ReplyDelete
  6. ...forgot to mention: the watch is running great after 18 years, with no servicing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi steve would you have extra links from the bracelet you would want to sell me?

      Delete
  7. Hi my dad just gave me his white dial superior like this. he bought it new in 2004 and rarely wore it. he could not find the extra links to fit me. I was wondering if you know a place or you would sell me one link from the bracelet. thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies

    1. i have an exact model and I think i still have two extra links.I bought it as used and the wrist of the previous owner is a bit bigger than me.

      Delete
  8. i have an exact model and I think i still have two extra links.I bought it as used and the wrist of the previous owner is a bit bigger than me.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anyone know how much it's worth now?
    Have one from 2004 and was thinking of selling it......

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anyone know how much it's worth now?
    Have one from 2004 and was thinking of selling it......

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well I just bought one in "almost new" condition for 100 Euros - but that doesn`t mean it`s not worth more...

    ReplyDelete
  12. To be honest, I think this watch looks great. But it is kind of hard to make good pics of it. I tried, but for instance I failed to catch the structure of the dial...all in all it looks better in life than on any photos I`ve seen up to now....

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi all.
    I have a Seiko 5 Superior (Look like it's fairly recent) Three hands, date & day. The crown is at 3 O'clock doesn't have a logo on it. The bottom of the dial shows in microscopic writing : 7S36 - 0654 R 2 Nowhere if shows : Made in Japan. Water 1O0M resist, automatic 23 jewels. On the back there is the following information : Water resistant 10 bar, 290440, 7S36 0220 A4 St. steel. Sorry no picture. As a steel bracelet. I wonder if it's a fake or genuine ? Any idea of the value, it's in mint condition.
    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete