Sunday, November 29, 2009

My first automatic GS: 6245-9000

Grand Seiko 6245-9000

1st Generation Automatic GS made from 1966 through 1968. This particular piece was made in 1966 at SUWA SEIKOSHA. This is a new old stock I acquired from Japan. Cal.6245A is a 35 jewels automatic movement with date function running on an Amplitude of 19800/h.

What is unusual about this GS is the crown is at 4 o'clock position and it is plain without sign of GS or W seiko.Produced at Suwa Seikosha. The case design is also somewhat odd if compared to other GS. One of the beauty of this watch is it has a Gold Lion Medalion at the back. My 6245 has an uplined silver frame to highlight the date and has a silver dial that shine with enchantment.

This was originally sold as a Seikomatic Chronometer but because of Chronometer appeal 1966, the name was changed to 62Grand Seiko. Only a few were produced, so it is difficult to find today. Can be considered super rare.... I am pretty priviledged to have one in new mint condition. I am actively looking for the 6246 39 jewels day date edition... may be years before I can hunt one in good condition down. Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment